- Two-week online selection of spooky short films sees awards distributed for the inaugural Indy Film Library Halloween Horror Showcase
- Mind-bending cosmic horror The Dandelion Cortex receives Best Narrative Film, while the sleepless psychological scares of Saturation take Best Experimental Film
- Cameron Bonham is named Best Director for work on First World War nightmare The Mind Festers First
- Will Priddis takes Best Screenplay for solo lockdown production The Abyss
- The Odd claims resounding Audience Choice Award victory
Since Monday 19th October 2020, Indy Film Library has been streaming some of the best independent horror short films it has received for review over the last year. The films have been selected on the basis of both their storytelling and the technical skills exhibited by their cast and crew, in a celebration of the often under-appreciated genre of Indy Horror.
Now, as the showcase prepares to draw to a close at the start of next week, Indy Film Library has announced the winners from the 2020 Halloween Horror Showcase shortlist.
The list of accolades distributed includes the Audience Choice Award, which saw hundreds of viewers back their favourite of the seven films on display. In the end, Roberto Vivancos’ directorial debut The Odd was the runaway winner, claiming almost two-thirds of all votes cast.
Indy Film Library Chief Editor Jack Brindelli commented, “As well as giving our dedicated readers something to watch amid the second wave of Covid-19, the films on display clear show the assumptions many people and festivals make about independent horror films are wrong.
“I would like to congratulate all the winners of this year’s Halloween Horror Showcase on their victories – and to thank the audience for their participation. It’s always been a dream of mine as a horror buff to present a Halloween programme of exciting new horror films, and it’s been amazing to realise that ambition, while being able to give these movies the kind of viewership they so richly deserve – as well as introducing so many people to some incredible talent they may never otherwise have come across.”
The winners are as follows:
- The Dandelion Cortex (Best Narrative Film)
- Saturation (Best Experimental Film)
- Cameron Bonham (Best Director for The Mind Festers First)
- Will Priddis (Best Screenplay for The Abyss)
- The Odd (Audience Choice Award)
All the films selected remain free to view via the Indy Film Library website until Monday November 2nd 23:00 CET. Meanwhile, Indy Film Library is still open for its second year of submissions.
For regular updates for reviews, interviews, commentary and news from Indy Film Library, follow us on Facebook or Twitter.