- Two-week online selection of student short films sees awards distributed for the inaugural Indy Film Library Student Shorts Showcase
- Collaborative film project Parallel claims Best Short Narrative, while moving essay The Angel of History takes Best Short Documentary
- Mason Bosworth and Julius Dommer named Best Director in respective categories
- Blaze Beat Jitters claims hefty Audience Choice Award triumph
Since Monday 25th May 2020, Indy Film Library has been streaming some of the best student short films it has received for review over the last year. The films have been selected on the basis of both their storytelling and the technical skills exhibited by their cast and crew, in a celebration of the often under-appreciated world of student cinema.
Now, as the showcase prepares to draw to a close at the start of next week, Indy Film Library has announced the winners from the 2020 Student Shorts Showcase shortlist.
The list of accolades distributed includes the Audience Choice Award, which saw hundreds of viewers back their favourite of the nine films on display. In the end, Nicholas F. Lavachek’s Blaze Beat Jitters was the runaway winner, claiming around a third of all votes cast.
Indy Film Library Chief Editor Jack Brindelli commented, “As well as giving our dedicated readers something to watch amid the Covid-19 lockdown, the films on display clear show the assumptions many people and festivals make about student films are wrong. Over the last year, Indy Film Library has seen many glimpses of the independent film industry’s future; and on the basis of these movies, it is a bright future!
“I would like to congratulate all the winners of this year’s Student Shorts Showcase on their victories – and to thank the audience for their participation. It’s been amazing to be able to give these movies the kind of viewership they so richly deserve, and to introduce so many people to some incredible talent they may never otherwise have come across.”
The winners are as follows:
- Parallel (Best Short Narrative)
- The Angel of History (Best Short Documentary)
- Mason Bosworth (Best Short Narrative Director for A Trip to the Store)
- Julius Dommer (Best Short Documentary Director for ASCONA)
- Blaze Beat Jitters (Audience Choice Award)